Thursday, August 13, 2009

Bromont World Cup and Vermont US Cup

Photo credit ©Dave McElwaine

Bromont World Cup:

World Cup! It was like a local world cup, that probably doesn't make much sense, but it was small, not like the big venue and lots of people your expect at a world cup, but all the big names were there. out on the pre-ride I got passed by Julien Absalon and Margarita Fullana Riera !
Let me tell you I was a bit intimidated, not necessarily by the competition, (the Canadian girls are quick but I was confident I would be able to hang with some of them) but by the course. Ive never felt that uncomfortable about a course, its not a good way to go into a race.
The start basically shot you up a steep road climb and into some steep wide single track switch backs, they were a little rocky but nothing too technical. Then you go over this bridge thing and right into a short little technical descent. then back up a road for a short bit and some more climbing, then you enter into the trees climb on slick roots, (I ran this section pretty much every time). You emerge from the trees back on a road for the last power up. A short bit of single track led you into what must have been the old 4 cross course. Took a few berms on that then dove into the trees for some muddy slippery fun. This was the section that was giving me trouble, pretty much the second half of the course. It was not quite down hill, it was more a rolling descent, so it was really hard to keep you speed. and it was wet! I was slipping all over the place, even when I opted to get off and "run" I was falling. After that section you got back onto a road for a few peddle strokes and were thrown back into the single track. This section of single track was more manageable for me, still hard, but not quite the same as the earlier part. It was a little dryer. There were two sections where they brought rocks in to make a rock garden. You then crossed a stream, went up a short little hill, over a bridge and then into the finish.

The start was fast, and I was dead last. Up the whole first climb I could hear the sweep moto right behind me, a very demoralizing feeling. Up the second climb I was doing a little better and I caught and passed two girls. But once we got back into the trees I was all over the place, slipping a falling, and at one point I even tipped over a rolled down a hill. One of the girls passed me, and again I felt the presence of the moto behind me (one of the girls had dropped out). I came through the start finish in last. But I could see a girl just ahead of me, and I was able to pass her on the first climb. I was feeling better this lap, more confident. I picked of another girl on the climb, and was riding more and not falling as much through the woods. Coming through the last technical section I could see the third place girl. awesome. I passed her right before the bridge. From last to third in one lap, I was feeling pretty good. Everything was going well on the first climb, then I hit the little descent, and it was nationals all over again, a rear wheel flat! only this time I didnt have two laps to catch up. I was about to cry. I changed it as fast as I could, which was difficult because of all the mud. I got back on and again my friend the moto was behind me. The good thing though was that there were two girls in my sights. Up the last fire road climb I picked off one, and passed a girl walking with a flat. After the 4X part I was 30 seconds off the third place girl. through the technical section I was trying my hardest to catch the girl. but I wasn't making up any time, I was loosing time, by the finish I was about a minute thirty behind. 4th place, not bad with a flat. Just aggravating, I did this in the last two races! I have learned my lesson and now am running tubeless, hopefully that solves the problem.



Vermont:

I LOVE this course! You start off by doing a bit of a start loop, up a fire road into some double track, then a left into some technical trees, and a fun little descent. then out onto the ski run and back down by the start finish. After that its out onto the long part of the course. You start up a fire road climb, pass the feed zone. The road flattens out, and gets pretty muddy, before you turn up a brutally steep loose climb. I was never able to make it up the whole way. At the top you turn into single track. Pretty technical roots that you really have to be focused to be able to ride. You exit the trees onto a road climb, then back into the trees for a short descent. there are a few short punchy climbs before you hit the descent. The descent is so fun! I dont know what is so great about it but I really like it. Its steep enough that you can keep your speed and fly over the roots. There are two short climbs in the descent. You come out on a road at the bottom and traverse around back to the start finish.

I had a terrible start. All the Cat one women started together, and I was in the back half going up the first climb. Going into the first single track was a mess, people weren't able to ride the technical section at the start so I had to get off and ended up running the whole thing. Up the road by the start finish I was picking off people. Kayla and Alicia were just in sight. I wasn't feeling super good, but I was getting into my grove a bit after the bad start. I came through the first lap in 5th. I got up to Kayla and we were kinda swapping positions for most of the lap. I got ahead of her going into the descent, and I made up a bunch of time on Alicia on the descent. I was riding it kinda crazy, always on the edge of crashing. I made a sweet pass, but wiped out right after, so I had to get around her again. The last lap was hard and I was losing steam, I had all three of my gu's and was still felling tired. Kayla was right behind me going into the descent, but I thought I could get enough time on her in the descent to hold on to third. I was wrong, I wiped out in the same place as the previous lap, and on the last fire road section Kayla passed me. I just couldn't accelerate to match her speed, to at least give her a sprint finish. Ended up finishing 4th.

1 comment:

  1. Jill! Have you left for Wyoming yet? We should ride, I just moved in!

    ReplyDelete