Sunday, June 21, 2009

Winterthur Racer Bikes Cup


Oh boy, the euros are fast! Just got back form the Racer Bike Cup in Winterthur Switzerland, Fun stuff, but super hard. It was a 4.2k course that started out with a short flat section of pavement then shot us up this super steep road climb, it wasnt long, but it wasnt short either. At the top of the climb you turn on to some gravle for a short flat section, before again turning onto a paved climb. The pavement soon turns into dirt double track that is fairly steep. You then go into some muddy twisty single track for a short time. You switch between single track and dirt road descending for a while before going into some pretty sketchey, super muddy, and slick single track, (funest part of the course!). The single track pops out onto a dirt road that is flat and fast. Then back into another section of fun, wet single track, a bit of a dirt road climb, before the super fast,super awesome grassy down hill with a sweet 3 or 4 foot wood drop. Then it was a road sprint to the finish.

I did four laps in 1:33 about 15 minutes down, placing 14th, like I said, these girls are fast. Didnt have a great start and was last right off the bat. On the first climb I was able to catch the group of girls in front of me. I hung with them most of the lap, gaining an edge on the climbs but loosing it in the flats. The second lap the Elit women started catching us, most blew right by, but one of them I was able to hang with on one of the flat sections for a little bit which was cool. By that time the girls I was with had gaped me a little, I had a stupid fall in the single track and lost some time. I could still see them, but I counldnt seem to quite catch them. My third lap was my best. I was climbing well and felling good, got into a rythem and it was awesome. But the girls ahead of me were still just out of my reach. By the forth lap my legs were screaming at me and I was just slowing down, so the girls got a bit of a gap on me and I couldnt see them anymore. Finished up nicely, soring down the last downhill.

It was a good race, lots of FUN! so different for back in Colorado, but still awesome. One really cool thing was that our number plates had our names on them, so all the random spectators would be cheering your name. The spectators were pretty cool. Some of them would be going up up (thats not how its spelled I dont think, but thats what it sounds like) and then when they realized that you were american and spoke english, so they would start saying go go go. It was funny. I am probably forgetting lots of things and this is a bit of a ramble.

No comments:

Post a Comment