Monday, June 29, 2009

Engleberg Racer Bikes Cup


Engleberg is a sweet place, I could definitely live in that place. It a little town nestled at the base of the Alps. The stream that ran by the course was crystal clear.

It was a very fun course, maybe one of my favorites. Only about 3km. The climb was maybe 10 minutes up paved road that turned into gravel. Then came the downhill, lots of fun, wet rooty twisty awesomeness! You started by going down basically log steps that went into two steep switch backs. Then there was a fast rocky straight that led into another switch back, followed by another rocky straight. Then into the tight turney section, then up a short quick climb before going down some rocky rooty stuff. then there was a short hike-a-bike, it was just a short steep uphill that was too slick and muddy to ride. After that came, in my opinion the hardest part of the course, Chloe said if you got on your bike before you crested the hill you could time it right and make it, but I was never able to do that. You came to the top of the hill and it flattened out for a bit, before a slight downhill, then a wooden bridge shot up at about a 45 degree angle table topped and went back down the other side. The problem was getting enough speed to make it over, because it was super muddy and slick. I never made it over, and by the last few laps I was just running from the top of the hill and over, that wasn't so easy either however, thankfully there were these small wooden strips across the bridge that you could use to walk up, but it was still very slick. After the bridge there was this super fun part down basically down a grassy hill, but it was super muddy, and there wasn't really a line, you just kinda went. You went down and there was a off camber right hand turn then you went over a knoll and down this steep rutted straight, with a tight right handed turn right at the bottom, I was watching the boys race and there were lots of crashes there, but it dried up a bit for our race, making it a bit easier. After that, you dumped out into a field and it was a flat stretch through the field to the finish.

The Junior women did 7 laps, I got lapped near the end of the race so I only did 6 laps. my start was good, and I was getting a gap on some of the girls up the climb. But on the descent some of the girls were catching me. That's how most of the race went, I would catch then on the climbs then they would get a gap on the descents, I probably lost a bunch of time getting over that bridge. It an awesome race, the course was sweet and I had a good race, I was feeling good, its still crazy to me how fast the girls are over here, its a good experience, and it makes me want to get faster. Some of the boys are ready to go back and race American races, but I like the racing over here, lost of short laps, wet muddy rooty stuff. Its a fun change.





No comments:

Post a Comment